Goal Setting Principles That Work
5 Steps to Goal Setting
Keep in mind: Two reasons people do not complete goals.
· Stuff will happen, such as major illness, car accidents, job loss, death of spouse and the list goes on. The average person will have 1 major event in any 10yr period. So the importance of an Emergency Fund becomes a major part of your goal planning. The key is how you react to serious setbacks. Do not let them make you a victim.
· Procrastination or Doing Nothing. You control the variables. The decisions you make today will control your outcome. Create and implement new Intentional Disciplines.
The 7 Goals
The 5 Steps for having a successful goal plan
· Specific: i.e. I want to Lose 20 pounds, not I want to lose weight. I will have 3 months of expenses in emergency fund; know the exact amount i.e. $9000.
· Measurable: You can track the goal. The budget will show you the reality of where you are in your goals setting and success.
· Time Limit: I will lose the 20 pounds by a specific time or I will have my emergency fund completely funded by a specific date, I will be out of debt by specific date.
· Your Goal: Can’t be someone else’s goal. You will not lose the 20 pounds because someone else wants you to lose the 20 pounds. You will not get out of debt because your coach wants you out of debt. It has to be your desire and passion.
· Written: Those that accomplish goals have a written plan. That is reviewed frequently. Those that accelerate their goals read them daily and make adjustments when necessary. Seek council before making life changing decisions.
“Putting Knowledge Into Action”
Keys to Success are the decisions you make:
Ask the question: Will this decision I am about to make going to move me towards my goal or away from my goal?
Procrastination is the number one reason that kill goals. I will get to it tomorrow, which leads into next week to next year. Do it now!
Word of Wisdom: Wise men gather council! ~ paraphrased from Moses the wisest man to ever live.
Build your team of like minded people. The journey will be light. Ask for council from those that have the wisdom to show you how to put “ Knowledge into Action”